Registration as a Foreign Resident in Marbella

Editorial Lifestyle
What is the municipal register? In Spanish, Empadronamiento.

The municipal register, or Padron, shows the number of inhabitants in a town and is important as the number of people registered affects the financial contribution the town receives from the central government. The more inhabitants that are registered, the more funds are received by the town council for municipal infrastructure and services.

Being registered does not imply fiscal residency.

Doctor at the Public Health Centre closest to your home.
Access to education
Discounts on municipal and social services
The right to vote in local and European elections (according to nationality).
Greater help from the state in matters of safety, health, education, etc.

For EEC members: a form of identification from your country of origin and the EEC registration card issued by the Spanish police, or your passport.
If you rent your property: rental contract and either an electricity, water or rates bill.
If you own your property: title deed, ''Nota Simple', or rates bill for the property (IBI receipt).
Children: If they do not hold a passport, the same documents as adults. Children born in Spain can use the ''Libro de Familia'' or birth certificate.


Marbella: City Hall - Ayuntamiento
San Pedro Alcantara - Las Chapas - Nueva Andalucia /
More information: 952761100 / 010 /
There are also several clubs and organisation in Marbella dedicated to foreign residents of different nationalities to view them all in this section


The registration must be renewed according to these premises:
(The City Hall sens a notification to your address notifying you before the renewal)

Every 2 years, those who have NIE prior to 2007 or have never obtained it.
Every 5 years, those who have NIE after 2007
Every 2 years, those who have a temporary residence.
Every 5 years, those who have a permanent or EEC residence card.